Study In Canada

  1. Home
  2. Study In Canada

Study In Canada

Canada is yet another destination that is becoming more popular in recent time. It is a vast country with diverse population and excellent education. For our Canada bound students, we provide a large range of options in every major city. Our Canada counselor has been counseling for Canada for the last 15 years and has placed many students in this exclusive destination.

Do I need a study permit?

Generally, foreign nationals must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada.
However, foreign nationals may be exempted from requiring a study permit in the following situations:
• Family members or private staff accompanying a foreign representative accredited by Global Affairs Canada; or
• Members of the armed forces of a country or territory designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act.

What requirements must I meet to get a study permit?

In addition to providing an acceptance letter from a DLI, you must demonstrate to the officer that you:
• meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, including leaving Canada at the end of your studies;
• have satisfactory proof of financial support:
o If the duration of your studies in Canada will be less than a year, proof of financial support for the duration of your studies in Canada.
o If the duration of your studies in Canada will be more than a year, proof of financial support for the first year of your studies in Canada.
• are law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate);
• will not be a risk to the security of Canada;
• are in good health (a medical examination may be requested);
• will produce additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility.

Are there any conditions on my study permit?

As a study permit holder, you must remain enrolled at a DLI and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program. Failing to do so may lead to your removal from Canada. For post-secondary study permit holders, the DLI will report your continued academic enrolment and status to us.
An officer may also impose, change, or cancel conditions on your study permit. These may include one or more of the following:
• the type of studies or course you may take;
• the educational institution you may attend;
• the location of your studies;
• the time and period of your studies;
• the time and place at which you shall report for medical examination or observation;
• the time and place at which you shall report to present evidence of compliance with applicable conditions;
• the work conditions attached to your study permit;
• the prohibition of engaging in employment;
• the duration of your stay in Canada.

Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Citizens of certain countries or territories may require a TRV in order to travel to Canada, while others may require an eTA.
A TRV is an official document issued by an officer that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. An eTA is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport; it too, demonstrates that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.
If you need a TRV or an eTA, you do not have to complete a separate application or pay additional fees. It will be issued by the officer at the same time as the documents you need for your entry to Canada as a student.
Find out if you need a TRV or an eTA.

May I work while I am studying in Canada?

Yes, as an international student, you may work under any Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s work programs for students, if you meet certain eligibility requirements.

May I work on campus without a work permit?

As long as you have a valid study permit and are a full-time student enrolled at a post-secondary DLI (university, community college, collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP), publicly funded trade or technical school, or private institutions authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees) you may work on campus. The employer may be either the school or a private contractor operating on campus.

May I work off campus without a work permit?

You are allowed to work off campus without a work permit for up to 20 hours a week during a regular academic session and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks, provided that:
• you hold a valid study permit;
• you are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution;
• the program in which you are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec;
• the program of study is at least six months or more in duration and one that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
• you continue to fulfill the terms and conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions to engage in off campus work (e.g., work no more than 20 hours a week during a regular academic session).

Post Study work arrangement

Getting a Post-Graduation Work Permit while studying in Canada (called PGWP) depends a lot on your course and its duration. A work permit under the PGWP is usually issued for the length of the study program. The maximum length of the post-work permit is of three years. It means if your post-graduate course’s duration is two years, you get a three-year PGWP visa. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. The course duration must be a minimum of eight months in length.
The PGWP allows international students graduating from a participating post-secondary college/university to gain Canadian work experience. In the long run, Canadian work experience gained through PGWP helps international graduates qualify for PR (permanent residence) in Canada through Express Entry.


Eligibility criteria for PFWP

• You must have studied full time in Canada and your course duration should be at least eight months.
• You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of completing your course. You must have written proof from the college/university indicating the same. For example, a transcript or an official letter.
• You must have a valid student visa when you apply for the PGWP.